The DVI to Displayport not working issue could be because of the problem in the adaptor, hardware, or software. This issue is common and faced by many.
We have gathered some of the best fixes to this problem in this article with the help of experts.
Keep on reading it till the end to learn how you can solve this issue.
- 1 Why Dvi to Displayport Not Working Issue Is Happening?
- 2 How To Fix if Dvi to Displayport Isn’t Working?
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Why Dvi to Displayport Not Working Issue Is Happening?
DVI to Displayport is not working correctly problem has multiple causes of that problem, like the cable itself could be faulty, the port might have been damaged, or any glitch in the software could lead the system not to detect the DVI to Displayport property.
– Basic Troubleshooting
When your DVI to Displayport stops working, or you buy a new Displayport that is not working, the best thing to do is check every part of the Displayport. You must check the display port on multiple monitors as there could also be an issue with the monitor.
If you have checked that Displayport has more than two monitors and is not working with any of them, the problem must be with your Displayport. But if your Displayport is not working only on one monitor but working properly on others, then the problem must be with the monitor.
You can also check your computer by connecting the monitor to another computer. If your monitor works appropriately with that computer, then it’s safe to assume that the problem is with your computer. Furthermore, if the monitor does not turn on with that computer, then the problem must be with your Displayport connection.
– Displayport Adaptor
If have been using your DisplayPort successfully until now, and it suddenly stopped working, the adaptor might be at fault. There could be multiple problems with it. As these problems have been faced by many people before, it is easy to identify the exact issue and then fix it. We have gathered the most common solutions, in the solution section, regarding the Displayport cable adaptor that many have faced.
– Check Hardware for Damages
Check if there are any signs of blowing, damage, or visual display errors on the monitor? Are there any cracks, horizontal lines across the screen, or partial images? If you see such things, the problem is with the monitor’s hardware.
– Connection Issues Between Computer Dvi and Monitor Displayport
Any issue in the graphic card can also be the cause of this problem. If you are facing difficulty connecting the DVI to the Displayport monitor, there is a high possibility of some issues with graphic cards.
– Outdated Software
Using the old video driver version can be the leading cause of many problems regarding monitor and display. If you are not updating graphic drivers, it can also lead your computer to have connection issues.
How To Fix if Dvi to Displayport Isn’t Working?
Dvi to Displayport not working problem can be fixed using one of the below listed solutions:
- Check the Displayport adaptor.
- Clean Hardware or Replace damaged parts.
- Reset or replace your graphic cards.
- Update the drivers.
- Adjust the DVI configuration.
– Check the Displayport Adaptor
You can follow this solution if you are sure that the problem is with your adaptor. The best solution, in this case, could be to turn off your computer and wait for a while. Then turn on the computer and boot it into safe mode. You can revert to the older version if you feel something has gone wrong and the display port is not working correctly.
If this solution has not helped you, and if you are still sure that the problem is with the adaptor, in that case, make sure your adaptor responds. If it doesn’t, it’s better to get another monitor.
– Clean Hardware or Replace Damaged Parts
If you see any visual damage on the screen, check if there is any pressure on the monitor from the back or front; if you find such pressure, remove it and see if those visible damages are fixed. Also, check for any hardware damage, like a damage in ports. Check if the connector pins are bent or dusty; if so, clean both of the ports and make them straight. These connectors might be loose; check that as well.
You should also check the connecting cables for any wire bends, or tears. Any pinch can also interrupt the signal. If you are using the connecting tables for a long time, they could be rooted because of the dry heat of a tower; in that case, you should go for the new cable.
– Reset or Replace the Graphic Cards
If you are having difficulty connecting the DVI to the Displayport monitor, check if you do not have a compatible graphics card according to your computer. You can reset or replace your graphic cards. But before returning the graphic card, you must try swapping the ports of your tower. Multiple ports are provided in most towers; test your monitor using a different port.
In some computers, the option of a secondary video card is also available; if you have one, connect your monitor to that card and remove the card that you were using.
– Update the Drivers
If the problem is from the software side, the best solution is to update the drivers. Many graphic driver updates are available, and you need to update your drivers as soon as the update is released. There are two ways to keep your computer updated; the first is to update every driver manually, where you have to be aware of when the update will be released. The second one is to set your computer on automatic updates, where it will automatically download and install the latest update of drivers as soon as they are released.
To update your computer manually, you can follow the below steps.
- First, go to the “properties” in the dialogue.
- If prompted, type the administrator’s password, or you can click the continue button to see the display adaptors properties box.
- Go to the Driver tab.
- There you need to check the date of the latest updates. If your updates are six months old, you must search for the latest ones. And if no newest update is available, your problem will not be fixed there. But still, you can update your driver. For that, follow the next step.
- Now click on the update driver button.
- You might see an option, “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
- You will see an option that says, “browse my computer for Driver Software.” you can see this option only if you have clicked on the update button on the manufacturer’s website.
- Your computer will start searching for updates; you do not have to do anything there. After some time, a dialogue box will pop up that will tell you whether there is any update available or not.
- If you have turned on the automatic updates, you will get a notification as soon as the latest update of the driver is released.
- Now you have to close all the opened Windows.
- It’s time to restart your PC and see if your problem is fixed or not.
If you do not see your screen, you must do the above procedure again using another monitor. Update your settings to connect to the Displayport monitor. If you are still facing relating problems while connecting the display port monitor, you might not have connected it properly.
– Adjust the DVI Configuration
There is a possibility of changed settings, so if the monitor has not been connected before, try connecting your Displayport cable with the monitor that has been connected before.
You can adjust the DVI configuration of your monitor, including the DVI-I and DVI-D, resolution, and color depth.
You can follow these steps for the proper connections.
- Shut down your computer and monitor, and wait a minute to shut down both devices completely.
- Disconnect all the cables that are going from the tower to the monitor. You will find VGA and HDMI cables there.
- Find the DVR port at the back of the DP cable, and then plug in one end of the DVI capable. You will probably find the label on the port, but if you do not see it, it is vaguely square-shaped and has pinouts.
- Connect the other end of the DVI cables to the DVI port on your computer’s tower. This port has the responsibility to connect directly to the video card. Connect it firmly.
- Turn your computer and monitor back on. You will find the “Reset/DV Mode” or the “Source” button on the front of the monitor. Keep it pressed until the word “DVI” appears on the screen.
- Check the Displayport. Your problem should have been solved.
1. What Ports Are Mostly Used in Monitors and Pcs Other Than Dvi to Displayport?
There could be a variety of ports you can find on your PC, including HDMI, VGA, DVI, or DisplayPort. The same goes for the monitors; you can also find multiple ports at the back or underside of the monitor.
You have to use the connecting cable according to the ports. You might not find DisplayPort on your PC or monitor using an older system, as it is not common, but HDMI is ubiquitous, and you will most likely find it on your devices. Also, remember that you can only use the cable that matches the refresh rates of your monitor.
So, let’s suppose you are using a 144Hz monitor with DisplayPort, and your PC has a DVI port, so you need a DVI to DisplayPort 144Hz to connect your PC to your monitor. Or, if you have 120Hz monitor, you need a DisplayPort to DVI 120Hz cable for connection.
2. How To Find Out the Faulty Cable Using Multiple Monitors With Windows 10?
If you are connecting a PC to a monitor or multiple monitors, you need a cable that matches the ports of the devices. Suppose your PC has an HDMI cable, and you are connecting it to two monitors; one has a DVI port while the other has DisplayPort.
If one or both monitors aren’t working, you must figure out which cable has a fault. Is your DisplayPort not working but HDMI is? Is your DVI not working, but HDMI is? Or is your HDMI to DVI to DisplayPort not working Windows 10 at all? To figure it out, you need to connect your cables with different ports and then other PCs and monitors one by one.
If they are working with some other devices, the problem is with the ports; otherwise, the problem would most likely be with the cable. You can go through the process suggested in this article in the above sections for deep troubleshooting.
After reading the article, you now know why the DVI to Displayport is not working correctly.
Let’s sum up the most important points that we talked about in this article:
- There could be an issue with the adapter. To solve it, restart your computer.
- There could be an issue with the hardware as well. Ensure there is no pressure on the monitor and the cords are not bending, dusty, or rooted.
- You should try swapping the graphic card’s ports or using the secondary video card. You must have compatible graphic cards.
- Using an old driver version can also be why you must keep updating the driver.
You need to check each case mentioned in this article and see if you have the exact cause. Find the answer in that case and get your functional system back.