Power limit throttling is a prevalent issue faced by a lot of PC users, and it is most common for power users who want to push their PC’s specs to get the most for a full workload. However, this issue is not a concern for just that specific group as it is a problem faced by every user who happens upon the notification informing them that their computer has some energy throttling issues.
The good thing for a regular PC user is that throttling issues should not be a big concern to them, and they can usually get their system back to normal with an easy and quick fix.
Read on to learn what CPU throttling is or disable power throttling, all the different reasons behind it, and all the ways that you can get your system under control after this threat!
- 1 What Is Power Limit Throttling?
- 2 How To Fix Power Limit Throttling Laptops and PCs
- 3 Conclusion
What Is Power Limit Throttling?
Power limit throttling is a systematic measure designed to keep your PC safe whenever your CPU cores exceed the maximum temperature they are set at. It is an indicator of your PC’s stability and a definite cause for concern.
– Common Reasons for Power Throttling on PCs
When it comes to CPU cooler cores, there are both safe and default temperatures. These vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and users also have the power to change them from the BIOS settings of their devices. It is essential to keep the temperatures in check because whenever the temperature goes higher than the limit, your device takes preventive measures like thermal throttling or even forced shutdown.
Throttling of power limit has a whole host of reasons much more significant than we could cover in his guide, which is why we have decided to keep the focus of this guide on the most probable and common reasons. Understanding the reasons for this measure will help you evaluate its fixes much better, which is why we have listed them.
- Processor power limits: It can be the case with the processor because if you set the power of the processor to a deficient number, the processor will not get the required power to run to the best of its ability.
- Core voltage limit: It can also happen if the core voltage limit is set to a meager value because it directly affects the core scores’ performance. Hotter cores are very unkind to the health of your PC, and it is best to get this in check before the temperature goes up to a very dangerous level.
- Limited cooling headroom: If your cooling system is not good enough to keep your temperature within the workable limits, you could also see this measure being applied to your hardware.
For users wondering why throttling of energy limit is bad, the answer is that it damages their system in the long run, and it is probably related to how they have placed their computer systems in a very limited setup.
How To Fix Power Limit Throttling Laptops and PCs
To fix power limit throttling there are some techniques that you can use:
- Getting a better cooling solution.
- Increasing the limit of core voltage.
- Increasing the limit of processor power.
- Checking the device’s fans.
- Changing the casing of the motherboard.
- Changing the PSU of your PC.
- Reapplying the thermal paste on the PC.
– Getting a Better Cooling Solution
The best thing you can do in a situation like this is to improve your PC’s cooling system if it is not already good enough. You can do this by getting an all-in-one (AIO) cooler or a high-performance tower cooler, depending on your budget and how you wish to improve the thermal performance of your machine.
– Increasing the Limit of Core Voltage
Since core voltage limit can be a significant cause of the energy throttling issues, especially if you have set them to a low value. It must be high enough to meet the minimum requirements. If it is not, you need to try to increase it, and you can do that with general ease by using the tools and utilities we mentioned in the earlier parts of this guide.
– Increasing the Limit of Processor Power
If your processor’s power limit is less than the minimum requirement, you must find ways to increase the processor’s limit. If you are ready to take the step and increase the speed right away, there are several tools at hand that you can use to achieve the desired result.
You can do it on your laptop by going into the BIOS settings or using other tools like the Ryzen Master, MSI Afterburner, or the Intel XTU, depending on your processors.
– Checking the Device’s Fans
Fans are put into PCs for just one purpose: cooling the device in general. If you think your fan is not doing an excellent job at that, it can be because of the throttling of the energy limit on our PC.
Here is how you can fix the issue with your fans if you suspect it is. Start by disassembling your PC and checking whether all the fans are moving and working properly. After you have done that, you can also check the RPM of the fans using a simple monitoring tool like the HWMonitor, for instance. Moreover, PC fans can get dirty quickly, after which they get jammed.
If this is the case with your fans, you can also try to use a blower or cloth and brush physically. It’s a good thing to clean them until they can spin appropriately without any issues. Some users recommend adding a few external casing fans to your system to improve cooling if your workload exacts a higher toll on your CPU’s performance.
While casing fans can get a little too loud for comfort, they definitely get the job done by improving the cooling system on your PC.
– Changing the Casing of Your Motherboard
This section is only for people who use desktop computers and does not really apply to laptop users. The PC casing can sometimes choke your driver’s internal components. This is why it is essential to look at the container of your motherboard and check whether it has been designed to accommodate a proper and open flow of air. If you think your casing is not ideal for airflow, you can switch to a different one that offers a better solution.
You also need to ensure that your PC is placed in the right environment and not stuffed in a small space where the hardware cannot breathe. If your PC is choking and heating up because it cannot live, it is time to change its place to a space that has no blockades and open airflow.
– Changing the PSU of Your PC
Another more demanding component you need to watch out for is the PSU (power supply unit), which is responsible for the power delivery across your PC. If your PSU starts to deliver a varying power level to your CPU, you might get an error of power limit throttle. If you see a mistake, we recommend jumping ship from a faulty PSU to a piece that guarantees higher quality power supply.
– Reapplying the Thermal Paste on Your PC
Thermal paste Is used on CPUs to distribute the heat inside a better way, and they also ensure that all the components, including the cooler and other hardware, are connected. When we use the same paste for a long time, what ends up happening is that the paste dries up, and the heat transfer gets messed up because of this. Since the heat transfer gets messed up, the temperatures In your CPU can reach a very high level.
If this is the case with your CPU, you can try removing and reapplying the paste on your computer, and we recommend you pick a higher-quality paste than the rest.
To conclude our short article, we can establish that energy limit throttling issues are not specific to a particular type of user, as we can all have these problems on our computers. Under this section, you will find four bullet points that are our summary of the guide and will help you remember the main points:
- Power limit throttling GPU issues usually occur when your computer exceeds the safe temperature of your core to provide better performance.
- You can solve energy throttling issues on your PC by ensuring better air supply using either thermal paste or extra fan casings.
- External cooling solutions can also help you if you often find the effect of PC heating disturbs your workspace and your PC.
- If you only use your PC for average everyday tasks, a simple solution to the problem would be to increase the core voltage and processor power on your device.
So you can handle the threat of this issue whether you are a heavy gamer or an office person because most of the problem at its core is just a reflection of how your PC needs to breathe better. If you or any of your friends are facing this issue, start by identifying the cause of the problem and eliminate it using any of the fixes provided in this guide!