To uninstall Java Mac, there is no automatic uninstaller by default. Thus, doing it manually is the only possible solution. Do note that Java is outdated software, previously used to play online games and browse websites, respectively.
However, security issues have caused people to discontinue its usage and adopt the later versions. Keep reading to learn how to protect your Mac.
- 1 How to Uninstall Java Mac?
- 2 How to Clear the Java Cache on Mac?
- 3 How To Disable Java?
- 4 How To Remove Multiple Java Versions Installed on the Same Mac OS?
- 5 Are There Any Benefits of Java on Mac?
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
How to Uninstall Java Mac?
If the Mac still has Java installed, it is recommended to uninstall it and upgrade to a new computer program. Some of the methods for uninstalling the Java program from Mac OS are:
- Using the manual method
- Check system preferences
- Operate terminal command-Line
- Use third-party applications
- Use app cleaner & uninstaller
- Make sure Java is gone
– Using the Manual Method
Java cannot be found in Mac’s Launchpad or the application folders because it is not a standard app. The only way to locate it is in its native installation folder within the System Preferences.
- Close all browsers and any application that may use Java to run before trying to uninstall it.
- Locate the “Downloads” folder where the Java installation file goes by default.
- In case the installation file cannot be found, search for the official developer’s website (Java.com) and download it from there.
- Once the download is completed, click on the downloaded package file and type the username and password in it to continue the process.
- Once done, it will open a new window where it will show “Remove”. Click on it to proceed further.
- After pressing the remove option, Java will be removed from the Mac. A message will show up confirming the successful removal of the program.
– Check System Preferences
Sometimes it is difficult to locate or use Java’s native installation files, or it is troublesome to remove Java from Mac. In that case, it is recommended to use the system preferences to uninstall Java from the system. Before the process of uninstalling the Java program, it is suggested to know the version of Java that is installed in the system.
- Search “System Preferences” in the Apple menu or Launchpad.
- Right-click on the Java icon. It will open a list of options.
- Find “Remove Java Preference Pane” and click on it.
- Then locate “General” and click it.
- Under the “About” line, the Java version will be seen that is used by the Mac operating system.
- Now, after finding the version, open the “Applications” folder, type “Java” in the Finder’s search field, and hit the Enter button.
- Find the file named “JavaAppletPlugin.plugin” and right-click on it.
- Then click on “Move to Trash”.
- Open the Trash or recycle bin and empty it from there too.
- To ensure Java uninstallation is completed, look for the Java icon in the “System Preferences”.
- If the icon is no longer visible, it means the program is completely deleted.
- After the uninstallation process of Java, disable it from Safari as well to make sure the computer system is secured.
- Open Safari and click on Preferences.
- Now, find “Security” and click to uncheck the “Enable Java” option to ensure this plugin is completely gone from the Mac.
- Operate Terminal Command-Line
– Operate Terminal Command-Line
Another method that can be used to delete Java from Mac is by using Terminal Command-Line. It is a default Mac application that helps perform certain actions by entering the command lines.
Here’s how to do it;
- Go to Applications > Utilities and find the Terminal application.
- It can also be found in Launchpad by typing “Terminal” in the search box and clicking on “Terminal”.
- Before the step of deleting Java, check how many versions of Java are installed in the computer system along with the version names.
- It is important to check because after uninstalling an older version to install a new version, the residual files may remain undeleted.
- To see which version of Java is installed in the system, enter this command in Terminal, “Java -version”.
- The next step is to check how many versions of Java are installed on the computer. To do that, run the following command; “ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines”.
- After launching the Terminal application, enter the given command and press Enter.
- “sudo rm -rf /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_251.jdk“.
- Enter the password of the account. It has administrative privileges.
- Now delete Java from there.
- There is a way to uninstall applications and remove all the Java files from the PC. Use the following commands.
- To remove the applet plugin, type in:
sudo rm -rf /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_251.jdk.
- To remove JCP, type:
sudo rm -rf “/Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane”.
- To delete Java files, type:
sudo rm -rf “/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java”.
- And to remove JDKs, the command is:
sudo rm -rf “/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines”.
- Make sure to enter these commands correctly, or error messages will be received, resulting in a loss of all the computer data.
- To check if all the Java files are removed from Mac, type Java in Terminal and press Enter.
- When no Java files are seen on the computer, a message will be received stating, “No Java run-time present, requesting install”.
- Press cancel and the process of removing and deleting Java from the Mac operating system is hereby completed.
– Use Third-Party Applications
Another way is by using a third-party application to remove Java successfully on Mac. These simple and easy-to-use applications make the process fast and ensure the cleaning process is done without any issues.
A famous application is PowerMyMac-Mac Uninstaller, specially developed for the Mac operating system. It identifies all the apps installed on your Mac and allows you to choose which programs you want to uninstall. Once you choose the program, the cleaner app will uninstall it, all its affiliated apps, and plugins, leaving no trace of the program on the device.
- To use PowerMyMac, you have to download it using an authentic source.
- Now, launch the app after installing it.
- After opening the app, click on the “Scan” button and let the app find the installed applications.
- Once the results are shown, locate Java and choose your desired apps and click on the Clean button.
- Wait until the app is in process.
– Use App Cleaner & Uninstaller
This is another great application to uninstall and clean Mac from Java. It has both paid and free versions with different features and capabilities – lets you uninstall apps on Mac safely – manage your system and browser plugins and extensions, and remove the leftovers from uninstalled apps.
If you’re using this tool to delete Java, it will leave no trace of the app, and you will not need to worry about cleaning the remaining files. The app allows you to choose which residual files you may want to delete. From service files to extensions, plugins, or preferences panes, all will be removed.
- Download the application.
- After downloading the app, launch it.
- Locate and click on “Extensions” then go to “Preference Panes”.
- Find Java in the list, select it and click Remove.
- Wait for the process to complete, and you will have easily removed Java and its extensions from your Mac.
– Make Sure Java Is Gone
Once Java is uninstalled, make sure it is erased from your computer system permanently. To do that, type in Java programming language in the Terminal Command-Line and press enter. If a message that reads, “No Java runtime present, requesting install” pops up on the screen – it means Java has been successfully erased from Mac.
How to Clear the Java Cache on Mac?
When Java is deleted from Mac, it is important to clear its cache to ensure that the remaining Java is uninstalled. The above methods may clean everything belonging to Java, but the cache can be deleted manually.
- Go to “System Preferences” then click on the Java icon and choose “Other”.
- Click on the Java Control Panel and locate the “General” tab.
- Find and click on “Temporary Internet Files” and choose “Settings”.
- Select “Delete File” to open a dialog box. Then choose “Cached Applications and Applets”.
- Click OK to remove these cached files from your Mac.
How To Disable Java?
It is a simple method to disable Java before deleting it from Mac.
To disable it from Java 7 that is adhered to its update 11, follow these steps:
- In the Java Control Panel, click on the Security tab.
- Click on the box to deselect the box for “Enable Java content in the browser”. This will disable the Java plug-in in the browser.
- Click on Apply. When the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog is shown on the screen and allows permissions to make the changes.
- Click OK in the Java Plug-in confirmation window.
- Restart the browser to check if these changes took place.
How To Remove Multiple Java Versions Installed on the Same Mac OS?
“Terminal” method is a technique used to delete multiple Java versions from the Mac operating system. If the Mac has several versions of Java installed and is not removed successfully, then these steps will fix the issue:
- Open the terminal and go to the directory /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines.
- Locate a folder named, jdkmajor.minor.macro[_update].jdk and remove that folder.
- Do not remove only Java tools. It is not recommended to remove Java tools in the /usr/bin directory. The /usr/bin directory is managed by MacOS, and it will reset all your changes in the directory /usr/bin when the MacOS is upgraded next time.
- Once the folder is deleted, the versions of Java are also deleted. To delete other versions, find the update and the version of the Java so you can easily locate it.
Are There Any Benefits of Java on Mac?
It really depends on the person using the Mac. Since there are many different uses of a computer, Java does provide compatibility with a lot of applications, games, websites, and programs. Hence, people who are actively in search of these processes may require Java at some point.
In that case, keeping Java is a better decision rather than uninstalling it. However, instead of keeping outdated versions prone to security risks and attacks, it is highly recommended to integrate the latest versions for maximum protection and the experience needed to enjoy daily programs that use Java respectively.
1. What Does Java Do to Mac and How To Remove It Permanently?
Java can cause viruses in computers and create several issues. Therefore, it is recommended to delete Java on Mac. To remove Java permanently, use the “terminal” that is located in the dock in the Finder. Check its Utilities to open “Terminal”. Use program commands to perform the task.
2. Does Uninstalling Java Affect the Computer System?
No, deleting Java will not affect your computer system. However, keeping the old versions of Java on your computer system can cause some serious security risks. Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the latest security and performance improvements on your system.
3. Does Deleting Java Require a Reboot?
No, it does not require a reboot after the program has been successfully uninstalled. Additionally, if the Java is deleted using online applications meant for this purpose, there is no need to restart your computer system.
However, if an application like CMD or IDE is used for the removal of Java, then it is necessary to restart the computer to adjust the Mac operating system to the new changes.
4. How Safe Is Java?
Java is safe to use when downloaded from a trusted website. Use the updated version instead of the older ones. Because older versions can certainly cause security vulnerabilities and are a threat to the computer. Therefore, it is important to keep your version of Java updated at all times to keep your system safe.
5. How Many Versions Does Java Have?
Regarding Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap, version 18 of Java is the latest version, and versions 17, 11, and 8 are the currently supported long-term support (LTS) versions. Oracle Customers will receive Oracle Premier Support. Additionally, Oracle is also the latest Java software. It is recommended to have the latest version installed to fix any vulnerabilities or bugs.
6. Should You Consider Deleting Java on Mac Operating Systems?
As mentioned before, Java is not a standard Mac OS app, so you do not need it on your system. It is an outdated technology that is not needed any longer in order to access modern internet websites. However, some applications or old websites may need Java to run. Disabling Java on your web browser will block any possible attacks in the future.
After reading this comprehensive guide, you should be aware of the issues that older versions of Java create for your Mac system. Additionally, you also know the steps to take in order to tackle this problem.
Here is a quick preview of what we discussed above:
- Older versions of Java programs can corrupt the computer system. Therefore, delete or update it as soon as possible.
- Java can be uninstalled using the online applications – via the command line or directly through the computer’s control panel, respectively.
- Ensure all the files and applications relevant to Java are also deleted otherwise, the computer will remain vulnerable to security risks and attacks within the system and from the internet.
- If uninstalling Java is not possible, it is recommended to use the latest Java software, such as Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap.
Use the procedures explained in this guide to solve the Java issues within your Mac by adopting any of the methods discussed above. Thank you for reading!